18 February 2013

154 granny squares later...

Yes, I've finally finished it! 154 squares, 7 months (WHAT!!) and around 30 balls of yarn later, the sofa blanket is complete.

Crochet blanket

I used Rowan handknit cotton in 7 different shades: Ecru (shade 251), Linen (205), Brown (315), Slate (347), Celery (309), Delphinium (334) and Aubergine (348). I used around 4 balls of each colour, plus a few extra of the slate for the scalloped border. When I started, I wasn't sure how much yarn I'd need so I just bought a couple of each to begin with. I carried on buying in bits - this yarn's come from Liberty, the Make Lounge, Deramores, and (I think) John Lewis. And surprisingly I got away with the the different dye lots. Just. (I have a ball of linen that really didn't match the rest of it - it's currently sat in my stash waiting for another project.)

Crochet blanket

The squares themselves were pretty simple to crochet - just a standard granny square without any colour changes. Most were created on train journeys and visits to family over Christmas, and I could generally finish one within 20 minutes, but putting this together seemed epic! My tension was all over the place throughout this project: first it was too loose, then too tight. I got it right for most of it, but some definitely had to be pulled out and started again once I've finished them all and knew what size they should be. Once I'd arranged them in their crosses, the completed squares sat on my living room floor for what seemed like ages (probably about a week) while I slip stitched them together in strips. To be honest, I'm not entirely certain if this was right but I wanted (and almost achieved) invisible seams and didn't think the arrangement I wanted would work if I joined as I went along or crocheted them together.

Crochet blanket

I knew this blanket needed a border, so made it up (eek!). I did two rounds of double crochet, then (after *a lot* of internet research and a bit of a practice run) figured out how to do the scalloped bit (7 triples into one hole, in this case). It is mad skillz blind luck that the scallops meet perfectly!

Crochet blanket

I'm so pleased with this blanket. It wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped (to be honest, I started this because I felt the nice yarn from Purl Soho for the granny stripe blanket would cost too much but I think I'm pretty close to what that would have cost), but the blanket's perfect - I've already spent several nights snuggled up under it on the sofa.

2 comments:

  1. Wowzers! That's a big 'un, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah - it is pretty big but it's come in handy during this cold spell. I've been wrapped up under it most evenings!

    ReplyDelete